Published on September 4th, 2013 | by Healthy Gay Lifestyles0
5 Unique Ways to Find Work
by Paul Novello
Unfortunately, even though the economy has shown improvement, many people are still out there job hunting. They’re applying for every open position they can find, increasing the competition for available jobs.
It’s important that you stand out from the crowd. You have to prove to your prospective employer that hiring you would be adding an asset to their company.
These suggestions may make finding that job just a bit easier:
1. Social Networking. Internet social networking sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter are all the rage. Many people use these sites to chat with long lost friends or find old loves, but they’re also great networking places to find employment as well!
- The idea behind social networks is to build a relationship. That means that you’ll want to show-off your value before asking desperately for a job.
- It may not work overnight, but these sites have incredible word of mouth possibilities, so be diligent and keep networking and broadcasting that you’re available for work.
2. Offer Services for Free. Okay, I know what you’re thinking: why should you offer services for free when you don’t even have a job?
- Aren’t you supposed to be making money with your skills and talents? Yes, but offering your services for free can actually work in your favor and set you apart from your competition.
- For example, are you a talented cook who would love to work in a new restaurant in town? Offer to work for them for a day or two for free. If they’re pleased with your work, you may be hired on the spot, or at least when they have their first available opening.
- The most important thing to remember is you have to be a top notch volunteer. You want them to discover what an asset you could be as a paid employee.
3. Write to prospective employers. Compose a letter to businesses that you’re seriously interested in. In the letter, highlight how you’ll boost business for the company and discuss what you would bring to the table.
- If you can convince them that they’re better off with you than without you, then you’ve won the battle. Make sure the letter is professional, grammatically correct, and confident.
- Your goal is to make others understand why they need you as an employee, not to beg them for a job. There’s a big difference, but it’s very easy to cross that line, so use good judgment.
4. Do it the Old Fashioned Way. In this generation of faxes and emails, your resume can easily get lost in the shuffle. Something to consider is to dress professionally and hit the pavement.
- Introduce yourself, shake hands, and hand them a well-prepared resume package.
- Building a relationship with someone is an important part in standing above the crowd. It also allows a manager to put a face to a resume rather than just pick a resume up off the fax machine or out of their email inbox.
- Though it may take a bit of footwork and perseverance, this may be your perfect way to make an impression when applying for a coveted job.
5. For Certain Jobs, you can Place an Ad in the Newspaper or Online. When looking for a job, the first place we all tend to go is the help wanted section in the newspaper or on a classifieds website. We gaze over hundreds of ads and apply to as many as we possibly can.
- Maybe you can turn the tables! This is where you can think outside the box. What about placing your own ad telling prospective employers that you’re free to work for them? Highlight your strengths and what position you’ll excel at.
- Remember, you’re in control. You want prospective employers to pick up the phone and call you – not to skim your ad thinking, “There’s another desperate individual begging for work.”
Looking for a job today can be quite challenging. If you’ve been searching for a while without much success, then it might be time to change your approach. Thinking a bit differently than other job hunters may be all you need to get that position you’ve been hoping for. Stand out from your competition, and be the one who lands the job!
Paul Novello, L.C.S.W., C.L.C., B.C.C. is an author, therapist, and life coach in New York City. Paul created and developed Life Solutions for Gay Men, a personal development resource to empower gay men to achieve personal, professional and financial success. He provides life coaching to get you from where you are to where you want to be in any life area you want to improve. Paul is a highly sought after coach and consultant. He works with numerous organizations, including: Fortune 500 financial firms, law firms, healthcare companies, small businesses, and non-profit organizations.
Paul is the author of the groundbreaking new book:
Unshattered Dreams – An Inspirational Guide to a Happy and Successful Life after a Difficult Childhood. Learn more at: www.unshattereddreams.com
Previously, Paul produced and hosted his own live radio talk show called “Gay Life Solutions.” This was a featured show in New York City through Equality Pride Radio on AM 1600 WWRL.
Paul has always been passionate about personal growth and development, and he loves to explore the possibilities! He enjoys inspiring others to discover their true selves, reach for their goals and dreams and create the life they truly desire.
Additionally, he also has an extensive background in the performing arts and has studied and applied various techniques throughout the years including Meditation, Progressive Relaxation, Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) and the Alexander Technique.